The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010, which passed on July 21, 2010, created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Among other things, Congress gave the CFPB the authority to: (1) write rules, supervise certain financial services companies, and enforce federal consumer financial protection laws; (2) restrict unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices; (3) collect and track consumer complaints; (4) promote financial education; (5) research consumer behavior and awareness, as well as developments in markets for consumer financial products and services; and (6) monitor financial markets.
To help its members keep track of the CFPB’s actions, AFSA has created a resource center with updates all in one place.
Blog Posts, Consumer Advisories, Press Releases, Amicus Briefs and Reports
- Press Release, Dec. 17: CFPB Sues Texas Company for Sham Credit Card
- Press Release, Dec. 15: Report Finds Continued Decline in College Credit Card Applications
- Press Release, Dec. 11: CFPB Takes Action to End Student Loan "Debt-Relief" Schemes
- Press Release, Dec. 4: Action against Debt Settlement Firm
- 2015 Rulemaking Agenda, Nov. 24: Federal Register
- Blog Post, Nov. 21: Fall 2014 rulemaking agenda
- Press Release, Nov. 20: Proposed expanded foreclosure protections
- Blog Post, Nov. 20: Proposed changes to our Mortgage Servicing Rules
- Press Release, Nov. 19: Action against 'Buy-Here, Pay-Here' auto dealer
- Blog Post, Nov. 18: Social Security disability income shouldn't mean you don't qualify for a mortgage
- Blog Post: Nov. 17: Veterans- Take advantage of student loan forgiveness, but don't let it damage your credit
- Blog Post & Press Release, Nov. 13: Prepaid Products
- Press Release & Report, Nov. 5: CFPB report finds debt collection tops older consumer complaints
- Blog Post, Nov. 5: Four things older Americans can do about debt collection problems
- Press Release, Oct. 28: CFPB supervision report highlights risky practices in student loan servicing
- Blog Post, Oct. 27: Final lists of rural and underserved counties for use in 2015
- Blog Post & Plan, Oct. 23: Helping more consumers use our services in other languages
- Blog Post, Oct. 16: Struggling private student loan borrowers are still searching for help
- Blog Post, Oct. 10: We're open to innovative approaches to benefit consumers
- Press Release, Sept. 30: CFPB takes action against Mortgage Kickback Agreements
- Press Release, Sept. 29: CFPB takes action against Flagstar Bank for violating new mortgage servicing rules
- Blog Post, Sept. 26: Hosting a financial coach in your community
- Press Release, Sept. 26: CFPB releases statement on DoD proposal to amend Military Lending Act
- Blog Post, Sept. 25: New Project Catalyst research pilot to study early intervention credit counseling
- Press Release, Sept. 25: CFPB announces Project Catalyst research pilot
- Press Release, Sept. 25: CFPB orders US Bank to Pay $48 million refund to consumers illegally billed for services not received.
- Blog Post, Sept. 24: Updated reverse mortgage guide: Two things you should know
- Blog Post, Sept. 23: We can help you fight improper actions by debt collectors: Venida’s story (video)
- Blog Post, Sept. 23: Don’t let your student debt stop you from serving your country
- Consumer Advisory, Sept. 23: Guide for servicemembers with student debt
- Consumer Advisory, Sept. 23: Guide for Peace Corps volunteers with student debt
- Consumer Advisory, Sept. 23: Guide for participants in national service programs with student debt
- Press Release, Sept. 22: Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council Announces Availability of 2013 Data on Mortgage Lending
- Report, Sept. 22 – HMDA Data
- Press Release, Sept. 17: CFPB Proposes New Federal Oversight of Nonbank Auto Finance Companies
- Report, Sept. 17: Supervisory Highlights Report
- Report, Sept. 17: Proxy Methodology for Race and National Origin
- Press Release, Sept. 17: CFPB Sues Online Payday Lender for Cash-Grab Scam
- Blog Post, Sept. 16: Protecting servicemembers from predatory auto loans: Harry and Ari’s story (video)
- Press Release, Sept. 16: CFPB Sues For-Profit Corinthian Colleges for Predatory Lending Scheme
- Consumer Advisory, Sept. 16: Notice for Current and Former Corinthian Students
- Blog Post, Sept. 16: National City Bank Settlement Administrator Will Contact Eligible Borrowers Soon
- Press Release, Sept. 12: CFPB Finalizes Rule to Oversee Larger Nonbank International Money Transfer Providers
- Press Release, Sept. 9: Agencies Announce Increases in Dollar Thresholds in Regulations Z and M for Exempt Consumer Credit and Lease Transactions
- Blog Post, Sept. 9: Reminder for Steps You Can Take if You Think Your Credit or Debit Card Data was Hacked
- Blog Post, Sept. 9: Disputing debt you never owed: William’s story (video)
- Press Release, Sept. 3: CFPB Warns Credit Card Companies Against Deceptively Marketing Promotional Offers
- Consumer Advisory, Sept. 3: Consumer Tips About Credit Card Interest-rate Promotions and How Grace Periods Work
- Blog Post, Sept. 3: You Could Still End Up Paying Interest on a Zero Percent Interest Credit Card Offer
- Blog Post, Sept. 3: Student loan debt doesn’t have to be scary: Leah’s story
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau reminded supervised financial institutions, including nonbank companies that may be unfamiliar with federal supervision, of the existing regulatory requirements regarding confidential supervisory information ...
Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Settle CFPB Case
Wall Street Journal 01/23/2015
The banks settled civil claims brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Maryland attorney general's office. Under the settlement, filed in federal court for approval, Wells Fargo agreed to pay a $24 million fine as well as $10.8 ...
Federal Regs Making it Difficult for Members of Military to Borrow Money
The Weekly Standard (blog) 01/14/2015
Ever since the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or CFPB, proponents of robust economic growth and sensible regulation have been trying to rein it in. The legislation that created the Bureau – which was a provision of Dodd-Frank ... More industry voices demand CFPB take down Rate Checker
The battle over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's new “borrower education tool” unveiled earlier this week is heating up, with the National Association of Mortgage Bankers now joining the Mortgage Bankers Association in calling on the CFPB to ...
CFPB Proposes 'Scorecard' To Help Colleges Rank Banks Offering Student ...
International Business Times 01/14/2015
On Wednesday the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released a preliminary "Safe Student Account Scorecard" that colleges could use to assess product fees before they sign a contract with a financial institution. About 40 percent of college students ... CFPB releases homebuyer mortgage education tool
Housing Wire 01/13/2015
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released its newest consumer tool “Owning a Home” to help spur homeowner education. This is a part of the CFPB Know Before you Owe mortgage initiative announced in November 2013. The campaign's loan ... CFPB Appoints Enforcement Chief
Wall Street Journal 01/06/2015
Tony Alexis, who worked for 13 years as an assistant U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., focusing on fraud, public corruption and white-collar crimes, was named the agency's enforcement chief this week, a CFPB spokesman said Tuesday. Mr. Alexis succeeds ...
CFPB Fails To Protect Consumers
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) wasn't founded until 25 years after Ronald Reagan uttered his famous line, “The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'” Yet, few agencies ...
- Dec. 17: Sprint Enforcement Action
- Nov. 18: Webinar on TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure
- Nov. 13: Field Hearing on Prepaid Accounts in Wilmington, DE
- Director Cordray's Remarks
- Recording of the Event - Coming Soon
- Oct. 23: FTC/CFPB Debt Collection & the Latino Community Roundtable
- Oct. 17: Event with President Obama at CFPB Headquarters
- Oct. 10: Economic Rights as Civil Rights: The Importance of Fair Lending
- Oct. 8: Forum on Checking Account Screening Policies and Practices in Washington, D.C.
- Oct. 1: Webinar to Answer FAQs About the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Rule
- Sept. 23 - Announcement on Public Service and Student Debt
- Sept. 18: Auto Finance Field Hearing in Indianapolis
- The event featured remarks from Director Cordray, as well as testimony from consumer groups, industry representatives, and members of the public.
- Director Cordray’s Remarks (see attached, but the link should be available soon)
- Bill Himpler’s Remarks
- Recording of the Event – Coming Soon
- Sept. 18: Senate Banking Committee Hearing, “Assessing and Enhancing Protections in Consumer Financial Services.”
- Sept. 17: Hydra Group Enforcement Action Press Call
- Sept. 17: Housing Finance Meeting
- The White House held a meeting between regulators, home loan lenders, and mortgage insurers to discuss how to increase the availability of financing for borrowers. Officials from the CFPB were present.
- Sept. 16: Corinthian Enforcement Action Press Call
- Sept. 12: ABA Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Rohit Chopra, Assistant Director at the, focused his presentation on student loan modifications.
- Sept. 11: American Bar Association Section of Business Law’s Annual Meeting
- Toby Alexi, head of the CFPB’s enforcement provision, spoke on the use of UDAP/UDAAP by Federal and State Regulators.
- Sept. 11: Consumer Advisory Board Meeting
- Sept. 10: CFPB at the National Association of Federal Credit Unions
- Sept. 9: Senate Banking Committee Hearing, “Wall Street Reform: Assessing and Enhancing the Financial Regulatory System.”
- Sept. 8: CFPB at the American Mortgage Conference
Consent Orders and Complaints, Petitions to modify CIDs, Exam Manuals, Notices, Guidance, Rules, and Information Collection
- Lawsuit, Dec. 17: CFPB v. Union Workers Credit Services
- Conesnt Order, Dec. 11: College Education Services, LLC
- 2014 CFPB Semi-annual Report, Fall 2014: Report
- 2015 Rulemaking Agenda, Nov. 24: Federal Register
- Bulletin, Nov. 18: Social Security Disability Income Verification
- 2014 Annual Ombudsman's Report to the Director, Nov. 17
- Proposed Disclosures, Nov. 13
- Compliance Guides, Nov.10: Small Entity Compliance Guides for Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage Rule and TILA/RESPA Servicing
- Proposed Rule under EFTA (Regulation E) and TILA (Regulation Z)
- Final Rule, Oct. 28: Annual Privacy Notice Requirements Under the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (Regulation P)
- Compliance Bulletin & Policy Guidance, Oct. 23
- Proposed Rule, Oct. 14: Amendment to TILA-RESPA
- Guidance, Sept. 30: Manufactured-housing consumer finance in the United States
- CFPB Consent Order Against Lighthouse Title, Sept. 30
- CFPB Consent Order Against Flagstar Bank, Sept. 29
- CFPB Consent Order Against US Bank, Sept. 25
- Guidance, Sept. 24: Considering a Reverse Mortgage?
- Proposed Rule, Sept. 17: Defining Larger Participants of the Automobile Financing Market and Defining Certain Automobile Leasing Activity as a Financial Product or Service
- Complaint, Sept. 17: Complaint Against Hydra Group
- Complaint, Sept. 16: Complaint Against Corinthian
- Final Rule, Sept. 12: Defining Larger Participants in the International Money Transfer Market (Fact Sheet on the Rule)
- Notice, Sept. 9: Increases in Dollar Thresholds in Regulations Z and M for Exempt Consumer Credit and Lease Transactions (Regulation M and Regulation Z)
- Guidance, Sept. 9: Updated Guides on the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure Rule
- Guidance, Sept. 3: Marketing Credit Card Promotional APR Offers
- Notice, Sept. 4: Financial Coaching Program for Veterans and Low-income Consumers
- H.R. 5062: to amend the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 to specify that priviledge and confidentiality are maintained when information is shared by certain nondepository covered persons with Federal and State financial regulators, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5403: to nullify certain guidance of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection and to provide requirements for guidance issued by the Bureau with respect to indirect auto lending.
- H.R. ___: to amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act to improve the consumer reporting system, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5405: to make technical corrections to the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, to enhance the ability of small and emerging growth companies to access capital through public and private markets, to reduce regulatory burdens, and for other purposes.
- S. 2829: A bill to require certain financial regulators to determine whether new regulations or orders are duplicative or inconsistent with existing Federal regulations, and for other purposes.
- Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) Sept. 10 letter on checking account overdraft practices.
- House Finance Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) Sept. 17 letter on CFPB "disparate impact" methodolgy
- Government Accountability Office September 2014 report, "CFPB: Some Privacy and Security Procedures for Data Collections Should Continue Being Enhanced"